RotoDawg: Week 2 player watch

Wow, what a weekend of games.

Who would have predicted Cam Newton would obliterate Peyton Manning’s passing record for a rookie debut? That happened on Sunday, with Newton throwing for 422 yards.

I am sure there will be a flurry of activity on the waiver wire to get Newton but do not be fooled. Guys have a big game and then fall off the face of the earth (see Jahvid Best).

Some players that you want to consider adding off the waiver wire this week include Ed Dickson, Ben Tate, Doug Baldwin, Cadillac Williams and Fred Davis.

The St. Louis Rams were hit hard by injuries that could hurt some fantasy teams. Running back Steven Jackson, wide receiver Danny Amendola and quarterback Sam Bradford went down during Week 1.

Donovan McNabb threw for 39 yards against the San Diego Chargers in his first game in a Minnesota Vikings’ uniform. Stay away from the Vikings’ offense at all costs, unless the name is Adrian Peterson.

Strong fantasy picks for this week include quarterback Matthew Stafford, who looked great on Sunday for the Detroit Lions. Stafford threw for 305 yards with three touchdowns against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

This week, he gets to face the Kansas City Chiefs, who gave up four touchdowns through the air last week. Stafford should be able to replicate those numbers.

Peyton Hillis did not have a strong game for the Cleveland Browns against the Cincinnati Bengals, but this week he gets to face the Indianapolis Colts. The Browns have a physical offensive line and will try to utilize Hillis often.

Matt Forte tallied 158 total yards and a touchdown for the Chicago Bears against the Atlanta Falcons. I expect him to pass the century mark in total yards and post two touchdowns against the New Orleans Saints.

The Buffalo Bills’ Stevie Johnson had an OK game against the Chiefs, catching four passes for 66 yards and a touchdown. The Bills play the Oakland Raiders, who lost their top cornerback to free agency this year.

Jordy Nelson proved that his Super Bowl performance for the Green Bay Packers was no fluke. Nelson hauled in six passes for 77 yards and a score on Thursday against the Saints. The nature of the game dictated the volume of passes for the Packers, but I am still high on Nelson regardless of the matchup. He is an emerging star in an elite offense.