Bulldogs overcome youth at Purdue

With a roster that includes six freshmen, the Butler men’s tennis team hit the road this weekend to open its 2011-2012 season at the Purdue Invitational.

Butler was led by promising freshman Tommy Marx, who advanced into the semifinals in the B singles bracket.

Marx led the Bulldogs with three wins. His lone loss came to Toledo freshman Grant Adams.

Freshmen Billy Weldon and Pulok Bhattacharya, along with senior Stephen McLoughlin, each earned a victory in a singles match.

Together with Weldon, freshman Austin Woldmoe, who lost his first singles match, led the Bulldogs in doubles with a record of two wins and one loss.

The pair was victorious in the first match by a score of 8-3 over  senior Paul Swanson and freshman Michael Tebon of Green Bay.

Weldon and Woldmoe’s great play continued into their second match against Toledo, which they won by a score of 8-1 over sophomore Ben Brocker and Adams. The victory earned them a spot in the semifinal round of the B doubles bracket.

The duo narrowly lost the semifinal match to junior Mike Ward and sophomore Michael Nott of Arkansas, who went on to take the B doubles title.

The Bulldogs will next hit the courts Sept. 30  against Ball State at the Cardinal Creek Tennis Center in Muncie.

The three-day match against the 2010-11 Mid-American Conference champion Cardinals will be a tough test for the young Bulldogs.

Ball State’s roster features eight upperclassmen, while Butler’s features just two.