Two close calls, one victory

The Butler University women’s soccer team still is looking to achieve some consistency after a win on the road against Indiana State and a loss at home against No. 24 Oregon State in overtime.

On Friday, the Bulldogs (2-2) mustered just enough offense to come out on top 1-0 against the Sycamores (1-3).

Strong defense and a goal by freshman forward Elise Kotsakis with 12 minutes remaining led Butler to the victory. The win also gave senior goalkeeper Natalie Galovska her first career shutout.

Kotsakis scored via a header off a well-placed pass from freshman forward Lucy Chauvin into the six-yard box. The Bulldogs’ defense held Indiana State to seven shots, with only one of those being on goal. Butler took 13 shots, with four of them on goal.

On Sunday, the Bulldogs fell to nationally ranked Oregon State 2-1 after a hard-fought match that went into overtime.

Butler got off to a fast start against the Beavers (2-1) with a goal from junior forward Katie Griswold nine minutes into the match.

Griswold received a pass from sophomore midfielder Anna Ventimiglia, dribbled between two defenders and launched a hard shot just inside the left post.

The Bulldogs held the lead until Oregon State senior forward Melinda Ingalls scored at the 34:38 mark. Ingalls’ goal created a tie that was not broken in the second half, thanks in part to Butler’s defense.

“Our backline stuck to the game plan perfectly,” head coach Teri St. John said. “Natalie [Galovska] was so quick off her line. She solves problems before they become problems.”

With the game knotted up 1-1 at the end of regulation, the teams went to overtime. Just over four minutes into the overtime period, Oregon State sophomore midfielder Haley Shaw netted a goal to end the game.

Both teams had 13 shots, with Oregon State only having one more shot on goal (6-5) than Butler. The Bulldogs played a cleaner game than the Beavers, drawing eight fewer fouls.

Although the game ended in a loss, St. John said she was not dismayed by the results.

“Sometimes coaching is about making sure you see beyond the results,” St. John said. “I think we made progress as a team with this loss.”

Butler will welcome Eastern Michigan to the Butler Bowl on Friday at 5:00 pm before traveling to Eastern Illinois on Sunday.