Track teams perform well at Poehlein Invite

Senior Maribeth Shiell paced the Butler track and field team this weekend at the Mike Poehlein Invitational, hosted by Purdue University in West Lafayette, Ind.

Shiell continued her outstanding running in the women’s 1500-meter run this weekend, finishing second with a time of 4:35.36.

“She’s been running well lately, and she’s hitting times at the end of her career, which is a good thing,” head coach Matt Roe said.

Sophomore Katie Clark finished fifth in the same race, with a time of 4:36.20.

Freshman Callum Hawkins carried the Butler men in the 1500-meter run, finishing third with a time of 3:57.27.

Senior Brent Sever was the rock Butler sprinters leaned on this weekend, finishing sixth in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.30.

Also in sprinting events, freshman Thomas Brueggeman finished seventh in the men’s 100-meter dash with a time of 11.11 seconds.

In the women’s mid-distance competition, sophomore Kirsty Legg took home the women’s 800-meter run title this weekend, finishing with a time of 2:15.03, almost a second faster than the second place finisher.

While Legg proved once again how consistent she is, senior Kris Gauson and freshman Ross Clarke showed that they, along with Legg, are some of the best distance runners in the country.

Gauson and Clarke took first and second, respectively, in the men’s 800-meter run. Gauson ran a time of 1:53.07, while Clarke ran 1:53.79.

“Kris and Kirsty just raced to win,” Roe said. “It was tough because they all were training hard this week, but they ran very well.”

The men’s and women’s steeplechases were two races in which the Bulldogs were well represented.

In the women’s race, sophomore Shelbi Burnett took second-place with a time of 11:12.95.

On the men’s side, sophomore Craig Jordan also took second, with a time of 9:32.65.

“It was a good meet for us, especially with a lot of our best runners training all through last week and less than ideal weather conditions,” Roe said.

The Bulldogs will be in action again on April 8 and 9 at Miami University of Ohio in Oxford, Ohio.