Shrewsberry accepts position at Purdue

Butler and Purdue University have confirmed what The Collegian Online reported last weekend—Butler men’s basketball assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry is now an assistant at Purdue.

The former Butler assistant, who helped the Bulldogs to back-to-back national championship appearances, officially started his tenure with Purdue head coach Matt Painter’s staff this week.

Shrewsberry spent the past three seasons as an assistant coach with the Bulldogs after serving one season as Butler’s Coordinator of Basketball Operations.

During his time as an assistant at Butler, the team compiled an 87-21 record, won three Horizon League regular season championships, captured two Horizon League tournament titles, made three consecutive trips to the NCAA tournament and posted back-to-back national runner-up finishes.

“[Shrewsberry] has had a terrific impact on our program during his four years here and we’re very appreciative of all that he’s done,” Butler head coach Brad Stevens said. “As a coach, it’s always bittersweet to lose someone from your staff, but we’re excited that [Shrewsberry] has the chance to pursue another good opportunity with really good people.

“We want to wish him and his family all of the best.”

Shrewsberry came to Butler after serving as head coach at IU-South Bend for two seasons. He was named the first full-time men’s basketball coach at the NAIA Division I school in 2005.

A graduate of Cathedral High School in Indianapolis and Hanover College in Hanover, Ind., Shrewsberry began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at the University of Indianapolis in 1999.