Men’s tennis snaps losing streak

Instead of suffering its eighth consecutive loss, the Butler men’s tennis team snapped a seven-game losing streak Saturday with a 5-2 win against Dayton.

The Flyers (1-9), who are facing similar troubles this season, failed to capture a win in any of the three doubles matches. The Bulldogs (2-8) swept in doubles to start the competition with a 1-0 lead.

Butler head coach Jason Suscha said he saw something different in his team at the start of the Dayton match.

“It was important that we played aggressively early on,” he said. “It helps tremendously to win in doubles, and I feel that the sweep set the tone for the rest of the game.”

The Bulldogs continued to establish their dominance on the singles side of play, winning at the No. 1, 3, 4 and 5 spots.

Freshman Brad DiCarlo said the team’s balance of play put them in contention for the win.

“It was clear that while everybody was individually focused, we we’re still working together to get the points we needed for the win,” he said. “That’s something we’re going to have to continue if we want this season to be a success.”

Junior Zach Ervin was optimistic when speaking about the match and the team’s future.

“I think this is the first time we’ve gone out and concentrated on ourselves and staying focused on our game plan consistently throughout the entire match,” he said. “As long as we can forget about what our opponent is doing and remember what we’re supposed to do, we’ll be fine.”

The Bulldogs will not play during Spring Break, but their schedule resumes when they travel to Macon, Georgia to take on the Mercer Bears (4-6) March 16.