Indiana Fever to play home games at Hinkle Fieldhouse for next few seasons

The Indiana Fever will play their home games at Hinkle Fieldhouse for the next two seasons and part of the 2022 campaign. Collegian file photo. 

CHRIS BROWN | SPORTS EDITOR | cbbrown@butler.edu

The WNBA’s Indiana Fever announced on Sept. 5 that the team will play its home games at Hinkle Fieldhouse for the 2020 and 2021 seasons as well as part of the 2022 campaign while a multi-year renovation project takes place at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

“Butler University is proud to partner with Pacers Sports & Entertainment and the Indiana Fever to welcome their great fans to the Butler campus and historic Hinkle Fieldhouse over the next several seasons,” Butler President James Danko said in a Fever press release. “Hinkle Fieldhouse has long been considered one of the nation’s best venues to enjoy basketball, and hosting the Fever is a significant addition to Hinkle’s rich history.”

The Fever played at Hinkle Fieldhouse once before, a preseason game in 2004.

“On behalf of our entire organization, we are extremely thankful to have such a great community partner in Butler University,” Rick Fuson, Pacers Sports & Entertainment President, said in a statement. “We look forward to bringing the best of women’s professional basketball to Hinkle Fieldhouse – which is an incredible venue to showcase our state’s beloved game.”

Nearly $50 million has been invested in Hinkle Fieldhouse over the last few years, with major renovations including a new video board, air conditioning, LED lighting and an upgraded practice facility.

“This investment has provided Butler with the opportunity to host a great franchise in the Indiana Fever over the next few seasons,” Barry Collier, Butler Vice President/Director of Athletics, said in the release. “PS&E is a partner that Butler has enjoyed a longstanding relationship with, and I am confident that our university and Hinkle Fieldhouse will continue to deliver a tremendous experience for the basketball fans of our community.”

The Fever’s schedule for the upcoming seasons will be released in accordance with the WNBA’s league schedule announcements prior to each season.