Track & Field Schedule Altered

JOE HASENSTAB | Staff Reporter IMG_0860

The Butler track and field team will be split up this weekend.

Some members of the Butler track and field team will head to Walnut, Calif., this weekend for the Mt. Sac Relays. The rest of the team will stay in Indy after the meet they were scheduled to compete at was canceled due to a lack of teams willing to compete on Easter weekend.

The meet was supposed to be at Indiana University. Now the team has changed their schedule around, making this weekend their bye week and adding a meet on the April 26 at Miami of Ohio.

Senior Mara Olson is one of the runners heading to Mt. Sac. She will be running in the 5,000-meter race, her first event of the outdoor season.

Olson is getting the late start because her indoor season lasted longer than any other member of the team as she competed in the Indoor National meet.

Also competing in the 5,000-meter race will be senior Tom Anderson, junior Katie Good and sophomore Erik Peterson.

Tom Curr and Kirsty Legg will compete in the 1,500-meter race and competing in the 10,000-meter race will be James Martin.

Last weekend’s meet was out of the ordinary in that it was held in the evening. It was called the Twilight Meet and was at the University of Illinois. Senior Matt Schumacker, a part of the 4×4 relay team, said that the starting time of his event is what was really distinctive about the meet.

“The atmosphere was definitely different at night,” Schumacker said. “For example our four-by-four ran at 9 p.m. local time but 10 p.m. Indy time, so that was kind of weird too. Around 10 p.m. I’m usually starting to get a little bit tired, but you got to be able to get on the starting line and get going.”

Head coach Matt Roe said he believes the team did well and that the environment was something the athletes enjoyed.

“Overall, we’re moving forward. We’re having stronger performances every week, we’re getting to compete against stronger competition and I feel like we’re rising to the occasion,” Roe said.

Schumacker said that he enjoyed the atmosphere of the evening meet and that he thinks it would be a good idea to add more night meets to the schedule.