New Art All Over The Schrott

BRITTANY GARRETT | Staff Reporter

Cinderella’s bloody slipper, animals experiencing the necessary evils of life, mechanically made surges of color and more can currently be seen in art hanging in the Schrott Center.

All three galleries in the center are showing very different exhibits.

The Lower Gallery is featuring student and faculty work in a juried show. This means each work went through judges who chose the best works to represent the ArtsFest theme of Fables, Fairy Tales and Physics.

Emma Landwerlen, junior art + design major and Schrott gallery assistant, described seeing student artwork in the center.

“There was an artist who sells works for a lot of money hanging where the students’ work is now so it’s pretty cool,” Landwerlen said.

Many students from Professor Elizabeth Mix’s Design History and Theory class have submitted works and are being featured alongside a gathering of triptychs.

Each triptych is a collection of three pieces of work displayed together. These are also student made.

In the upper level galleries, established artists Petronio Bendito and Angela Lopez showcase their contrasting pieces.

Butler art professor Steve Nyktas compared the two as perfect mixtures for the exhibit.

“What I think is really exciting about the two artist pairings is that we have Angela working in this intuitive, handmade style with expressive paintings, and Petronio working in a very compositional and math driven style,” Nyktas said.

Although they are quite different, both still complement one another.

“The reason we chose these two artists is because they still represent the theme of the show,” Nyktas said.

Bendito’s work hangs in the Upper East Gallery in what Landwerlen described as an almost-religious experience.

“When he was hanging one of his pieces, it was like sitting in a church. Everyone sat down and was quiet watching him,” she said.

The physical experience of viewing these works is much different than the experience of hanging them.

They are large bursts of bright color and lines.

“Petronio’s works are more physics based, coming out of calculations and a mechanical process,” Nyktas said.

Boards describing his works and the process used to make them are hung with his pieces as well.

On the other side of the building, Angela Lopez’s pieces have had another effect on Landwerlen.

“Her pieces are just really soft,” Landwerlen said.

These soft pieces symbolize harder concepts in life.

“My watercolor paintings explore power struggles, evil, morose emotions and death through   the    use of common symbols, mythologies and parallels found in nature,” said Lopez in her artist statement for these particular pieces.

Untitled

Primarily watercolors on paper, Lopez focuses more on the handmade aspect of art than Bendito.

Nyktas described Lopez’s process as being more personal this way.

“Her work is really big and on paper so it was interesting hanging,” Landwerlen said. “All the pieces we have in the main galleries are really big right now.”

The two artists’ exhibitions still work with the student pieces too.

“It’s cool for our program as art + design to integrate everything in this way,” Nyktas said.

There will be a gallery reception April 25 in the Schrott Center before the work of all three shows comes down April 27.

They are free and open to the public during normal business hours.

dresses