English Department Hires Documentarian

BRITTANY GARRETT | Staff Reporter

Butler University’s English department has hired accomplished screenwriter Alix Lambert to teach screenwriting courses.

The English department made a recognizable stride with the opening of the Efroymson Center for Creative Writing in 2012, and now it is building on that achievement.

According to Lambert’s website, pinkghettoproductions.com, her most recent event was an appearance at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, for her animated series “CRIME: The Animated Series.”

Lambert has directed films like “The Mark of Cain,” a documentary about Russian prison tattoos, which garnered her a nomination for an Independent Spirit Award in 2002.

She has also written for HBO’s “Deadwood” and “John from Cincinnati.”

Screenwriting is just the beginning for Lambert, however. She has also written books and worked in media production, art and photography.

“CRIME: The Animated Series,” co-created and directed with Sam Chou, is available on YouTube.

Dan Barden, an English professor involved in the search process, said Butler has offered screenwriting classes in the past, but current students have expressed interest in studying the topic more.

Barden currently teaches a class in playwriting and screenwriting.

Casey Lowenthal, a sophomore theatre major, expressed enthusiasm over the prospect of this new option.

“I know there are definitely people in our department who would want to be involved in a class like this,” Lowenthal said. “I also think other departments, like digital media productions, could benefit from it.”

Junior English writing major Marie Cunningham said she thinks the new professor will help improve the English department because all students can have well-qualified instructors specializing in what the students are interested in.

“It would be good for all writers to have at least one teacher in their medium. You just want to get the most out of what you can,” Cunningham said.

Barden said the committee  looked for just this when selecting a candidate.

“We wanted someone who made a living in screenwriting but also demonstrated an interest in teaching,” he said.

An air of enthusiasm and eagerness for the future surrounds Butler’s welcoming of Lambert as a professor.