Couture relieved of duties as women’s basketball coach, Godlevske named to interim role

Beth Couture was relieved of her duties as head coach of the women’s basketball program today, according a statement released by the Athletics Department.

Butler women’s basketball assistant coach Kurt Godlevske will assume the position of interim head coach immediately, according to the release.

Athletic Director Barry Collier released the following statement regarding Godlevske.

“I am very pleased that Kurt Godlevske has agreed to lead our program at this time,” Collier said. “Kurt is highly respected, a tireless worker and has excellent relationships throughout the game of basketball.”

Godlevske joined the staff last season after being the women’s basketball head coach at Bedford North Lawrence High School for seven seasons. He compiled a 120-41 record over the course of his tenure there.

Couture leaves the program with a 193-174 mark after 12 seasons. The team went 15-16 during the 2013-2014 season and made an appearance in the WNIT.

According to the statement, the search for a permanent head coach begins immediately.

In the Collegian story “Former players allege verbal abuse, mistreatment” (Apr. 16, 2014) former program members spoke of alleged verbal abuse and mistreatment from Couture dating back to at least 2007.