Football: Bulldogs move to 2-0 in conference play

Butler will play for a trophy next Saturday after upending rival Dayton 21-11 Saturday afternoon.

Junior running back Trae Heeter led the Bulldogs with 159 rushing yards and two touchdowns.

The Bulldogs (3-2, 2-0) remain undefeated in Pioneer League play with the win. Butler has won three of four in the lifetime series with Dayton.

“From day one I was here, I always knew we’d be in a dogfight from the get-go against Dayton every year, and that’s what it was today,” redshirt junior defensive lineman Jeremy Stephens said.

Heeter put the game out of reach as he bounced off tacklers and went to the outside for an 80-yard touchdown on a third down  play with less than three minutes left in the game.

“They didn’t wrap up too well, so I kept my feet (moving) and hit it to the outside where there was room to run,” Heeter said.

Heeter injured his ankle after getting tangled up in a pile but said he is recovering well.

“It feels a lot better after that big win,” Heeter said.

Redshirt junior quarterback Matt Lancaster continued his dual-threat efficiency with 170 yards and one touchdown through the air.

Despite being sacked twice, he finished with 27 yards on the ground.

The Bulldogs have another rivalry game next Saturday as they travel to Valparaiso (0-4, 0-1). Kickoff is at 2 p.m.

Coach Jeff Voris said the Crusaders will be eager to improve off their 42-14 loss to Butler last season.

“(We’re) going to get their best shot because it’s a rivalry game, and I know they’re much improved, from what I’ve read,” Voris said.

“It’s going to be every bit of what we had (Saturday) and more,” Voris said, “because of the passion of the game, the Hoosier Helmet Game.”