Written by:

Categorized | Sports

Baseball: Team falls in two of three games

By Austin Monteith | Sports Editor

PrintFriendly and PDF

The Butler baseball team dropped two out of three games at Tennessee-Martin this past weekend.

Home runs by three Butler players led the Bulldogs (2-5) to a 13-5 victory over the Skyhawks (3-5) Sunday afternoon.

Butler junior first baseman Jimmy Risi homered twice while junior third baseman Lucas Calderon and sophomore designated hitter Ryan Wojciechowski each hit a home run for the Bulldogs.

Butler put 18 hits on the scoreboard and six players recorded a multi-hit game, including Risi, who drove in a game-high five runs.

The teams played the first two games of the three-game series in a doubleheader on Saturday. Tennessee-Martin won the second game of a doubleheader by a 5-4 margin.

Butler freshman shortstop Austin Miller hit a two-run double in the top of the second inning for the first hit of his collegiate career, giving the Bulldogs the first runs of the game.

The Skyhawks would respond with two runs in the bottom half of the frame, two in the fifth inning and the game-winning run in the seventh inning.

Tennessee-Martin won the first game of the doubleheader as well, shutting out Butler 5-0.

The Bulldogs will be back in Tennessee for a three-game series against Belmont in Nashville Saturday and Sunday.