Art expands into annex

Jordan College of Fine Arts students and faculty members will soon have more room for expression.

Renovations are under way to turn the former Jordan Academy of Dance building into the Jordan College of Fine Arts Annex.

About 50 percent of the space in JCX will be dedicated to the art + design program, with the other half available for dance studio space and other JCFA functions starting next fall.

Elizabeth Mix, an associate professor of art, said that gaining two large spaces—one that will serve as a studio and the other as a classroom—will allow art + design students to work in a dedicated space.

“We desperately needed actual art studios,” she said. “We were making art in music rooms, and that’s not really conducive to making art.”

The move will also allow art faculty members to have offices together that are close to their classrooms. Currently their offices are spread around the Fairbanks Building while most of the classes are taught in Lilly Hall.

While the walk to the building may be a little longer, Mix said the move will benefit students.

“Students who are here right now realize that they don’t have this kind of space,” she said.

Laura Kramer, a senior strategic communication and art + design major, said having to move projects around and empty a room at the end of class can hurt the artistic process. Other than simply being a place to store art, the new studios will help with this routine.

“You’ll be able to know that it’s going to be a creative environment, and you’ll be surrounded by other students who are also working,” she said.

Ben Fox, a junior philosophy and art + design major, said that it can be difficult to work on art projects in dorm rooms or around other people. He said the new space will attract more students to the program and help the existing students work better.

“Quality goes up when you have space to work in,” he said. “You get a lot more thoughtful work.”