Women’s soccer: More close calls

The weekend was filled with highs and lows for the Butler women’s soccer team during the squad’s nail-biting double overtime victory against Oakland and close loss at Detroit.

The Bulldogs (5-5-0, 0-1 HL) were able to find the net in the second half of the game against the Titans (7-3-1, 1-0 HL), but it was too little, too late, as Detroit grabbed the 2-1 win on Sunday.

The Titans scored the only goal of the first half and the first goal of the second half.

In the 28th minute, Detroit junior midfielder Sarah Dzuris punched home a free kick from 25 yards out to give her team an early advantage.

The eventual game-winning strike came from Titans junior defenseman Rebekah Dornbos, who put away an unassisted goal in the match’s 46th minute.

Butler finally broke through on a goal from junior forward Katie Griswold in the 78th minute, but Detroit’s defense stayed strong for the remainder of the half.

“We have made a habit of starting slowly and giving up goals early but haven’t been punished for it,” head coach Tari St. John said. “Today we were made to play.”

Butler was able to tally nine shots against Detroit’s eight. Senior goalkeeper Natalie Galovska recorded three saves.

Butler began the weekend by defeating Oakland in a hard-fought match that ended with a double overtime goal by junior defensman Claire Milam.

The Golden Grizzlies (2-6) struck first when sophomore forward Serena San Cartier scored her first goal of the season, putting Oakland ahead 1-0.

The Bulldogs, who had 17 shots in the contest, went scoreless in the first half.

Oakland notched its second goal two and a half minutes into the second half.

Despite being down by a pair, St. John said the team was still confident they could go home with a win.

“These girls are resilient, that’s for sure,” St. John said. “Even at two down, there wasn’t a player that didn’t think we could make a comeback.”

Butler started that comeback with an own goal from the Golden Grizzlies, which occurred after a shot from Butler freshman midfielder Ann Zerfas.

The Bulldogs then seized a game-changing moment on a corner kick in the 77th minute. Freshman forward Stephanie Kaylor connected with sophomore midfielder Jackie Hafele, who knocked the ball off her head and into the net for a game-tying goal.

The match could not be decided in regulation time or after one overtime period. Butler held on until the 105th minute, when Milam sealed the win for the Bulldogs, putting away a rebound on a shot by freshman forward Elise Kotsakis.

The Bulldogs will continue their conference season when they host Wright State Sept. 24 at the Butler Bowl.