Butler welcomes new Athletic Hall of Fame class

Butler University added five new members to the Athletic Hall of Fame this past Saturday.

The members, who make up Butler’s 21st Hall of Fame class, include the 1983 football team, football player Paul Page (’86), basketball player Jermaine Guice (’94), soccer player Jeremy Aldrich (’98), and volleyball player Stacia Mellinger (’90).

Page, a record setting wide receiver during his time as a Bulldog, was a three year starter on the varsity team as well as a two-time winner of the Butler Offensive Most Valuable Player award.

“It’s the biggest honor ever bestowed upon me,” Page said. “I’m honored to be a part of Butler history.”

Page held Butler records in single season receiving yards as well as career receiving yards at the time of his graduation and still is top five in both categories.

Another of the newest members, Mellinger, helped the Bulldogs to four consecutive regular season league championships, along with one league tournament title.

She was also a member of the all-league team her sophomore, junior and senior seasons.

Guice led the Bulldogs to their third 20-win season in school history in 1991-92, along with winning the team MVP award twice. He currently is eighth on Butler’s all time scoring list.

The 1983 football team went undefeated in the regular season at 9-0-1 and advanced to the NCAA Division II playoffs. The Bill Sylvester-coached Bulldogs fell to UC Davis 25-6 in the Division II playoffs.

“It’s a great honor,” Mike Mewborn, a member of the team and a 1986 graduate said. “We are all excited to become a part of Butler history.”

Aldrich, a standout defender, earned NSCAA/Adidas All-America status as a member of the second team in 1998, only the second player in Butler history to achieve such a feat.

He graduated after leading the team to a 19-5-1 record in 1998, the winningest men’s soccer team in Butler history.

Butler’s Athletic Hall of Fame was established in 1991 and has over 150 members.