Local brewery offers modern spin

Thr3e Wise Men, one of the newest additions to the Broad Ripple restaurant and bar scene, has transformed the old building at 1021 Broad Ripple Ave. The restaurant is a member of the Scotty’s Brewhouse family and has been drawing interest ever since its Jan. 17 opening.

On an expectedly busy Friday night, well over an hour wait was required to be seated at the restaurant.

“We have been extremely busy,” server Shannon Brubaker said.

Her observation was confirmed by the bustling atmosphere, where wait staff scrambled through the crowded space to serve large parties of customers.

What first struck me was the combination of modern and traditional styling in the restaurant’s design. A set of automatic doors leads the way into a log-cabin style building with a few types of seating and standing arrangements: a bar area, long tables with benches, tall tables with barstools as well as a few barrel-shaped tables where customers were often seen socializing with others, drink in hand.

Behind glass panels, large gleaming vessels add ambience and make parts of the actual brewery visible to the customer.

Th3ree Wise Men is committed to technological innovation as well. Fourteen big screen televisions framed the walls, broadcasting different sports programming. While this was to be expected, the sheer number of screens can seem a little overwhelming and busy at times.

The restaurant also showed its innovation by equipping each table with iPads, which proved to be a different and interesting way to fill the time waiting for your order to arrive. The devices highlight a program with various features about the brewery, showcasing its history, menu, reviews, offering services and specials, and allowing customers the option of connecting to social networking outlets such as Facebook and Twitter.

The communal seating is an immediately noticeable aspect of Thr3e Wise Men’s atmosphere. At least two to three distinct parties of customers were usually seated around the same table, creating a somewhat less private atmosphere than most people are accustomed to.

Thr3e Wise Men’s menu is limited to appetizers, pizza, salad, desserts and, of course, beer. Everything is available for dine-in and carryout.

The beer selection boasts eight different varieties, ranging in color and alcoholic content. Customers are also able to purchase bottled beer and kegs of beer, and many left the store carrying one of the Brewery’s 64 oz. refillable glass growlers.

The Blackberry Wheat is one of the Brewery’s pale ales, featuring blueberries and amarillo hops. A deep burgundy in color, the drink offered a unique culinary experience, giving the familiar taste of beer a fruity and sour kick.

As far as food goes, breadsticks seemed to be a popular appetizer. Offered plain or stuffed with pepperoni, they come in increments of six, served with a choice of cheese and marinara dipping sauces. Although they complement pizza very well, it was impossible to keep them on the tray long enough for the pizza to arrive.

Thr3e Wise Men’s pizzas come in three sizes, are baked with a crispy thin garlic crust that incorporates one of their brews and is topped with local Indiana cheese. Customers have the option to add on standard meat and vegetable toppings for $1.50 each.

Brubaker said she believes Thr3e Wise Men is the best the Broad Ripple area has to offer.

“We’ve got a great selection of beer, and a unique and communal style,” she said.

The reasonable price range is another benefit. Standard sizes of beer are under $5 and most appetizers fall well under the $10 mark. Depending on size and toppings, pizzas can range anywhere from just under $10 to around $20.

The Brewery is open 4 p.m. to 12 a.m. Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 12 a.m. on Saturday and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday.