Ben Folds to perform at Clowes

“Three sad semesters, it was only fifteen grand.”

It might sound like any college student’s sob story, but it’s a lyric from Ben Folds’ song “Army,” a song that could be heard at Butler University
Ben Folds will be performing at Clowes Memorial Hall on Saturday, Oct. 23 as Butler University’s fall concert.

Ben Folds, formerly of the alternative rock band Ben Folds Five, has a piano-centered sound and satirical lyrics that have gained him global popularity.

According to benfolds.com, Folds’ upcoming album, Lonely Avenue, is schedule for release on Sept. 28.

The album is a collaboration with Nick Hornby, an English novelist and music enthusiast. It features 11 new songs with lyrics by Hornby and music by Folds.

Max Taylor, co-chair of the Program Board’s concert committee, said that Folds’ music is “a soundtrack to good times.”

He describes Folds as a, “pop pianist, singer-songwriter.”

Taylor said that Folds’ concerts are known to be a unique.

“He improvises a lot, so I think everyone will have a good time,” Taylor said.

The Program Board’s Concert Committee decided to use Folds’ concert to bring back a long-standing Butler tradition.

The committee’s Co-Chair Elyse Carlucci said, “It used to be a tradition to always have a concert on Homecoming about 10 years or so ago.

“We decided that it would be cool to bring the tradition back,” she said.
Carlucci also hopes the Folds concert will bring the entire Butler community together.

“I think a lot of non-Greek students feel a little left out of a lot of homecoming festivities,” she said. “So this is just another fun thing for all of campus to do that’s not just for Greek life.”

Taylor agreed with Carlucci.

“We thought that homecoming already brings everyone together, so why not finish the night like that?” he said.

Freshman Abby Miller said the idea of holding the concert on homecoming is a good one.

“I would really enjoy him [Folds] coming to Butler during homecoming week,” she said. “I think that it would be a good event to hold then, and who doesn’t like concerts?”

Taylor said the committee chose Folds because of his appeal to a wide variety of people.

“We really felt that we wanted to reflect both the alumni that are going to be here and current students,” Taylor said. “Folds has a lot of generations of followers because he’s been around for so long.

“Pretty much anyone who has been in college during the last 15 years was a Ben Folds fan.”

Nora Burke, a sophomore music major, is one of those fans.

“I think he’s talented,” she said. “He’s like Billy Joel, but better.”

Taylor encourages all students to come out for the concert.

“If you like fun, you will like going to a Butler concert,” he said.

The concert will start at 8 p.m., doors open at 7 p.m.

Student tickets go on sale on Tuesday, Sept. 21 at the Clowes box office.

Faculty and staff can purchase tickets on Monday, Sept. 27. Tickets will be sold to the general public starting on Oct. 11.

Tickets are $15 for all Butler students with a student ID and $20 for faculty and staff. Alumni will also receive a special discount on tickets.